There is always some anxiety the night before the NAVLE®! Here are a few tips for the day before the exam to help you get ready:
- Get some light exercise! Great way to burn off some of that nervous energy. Also, being out in nature is an excellent way to de-stress.
- Eat a well-balanced meal in the evening at least 3-4 hours before bed.
- Don’t study. If you MUST study, stop by 12pm! Cramming = anxiety. Use this day to prepare yourself mentally and calm your nerves.
- Lay out your clothes. Choose something comfortable and make sure you won’t be too hot/cold.
- Familiarize yourself with the testing center and print out directions. I know, before you write this off as old-school…remember that time your phone GPS croaked amongst all those tall buildings and you were driving in circles? Even better if you do a test run. And don’t forget to allot enough time for unexpected traffic too.
- Pack the things you’re going to take to the exam in a bag. Don’t forget your ID, keys, phone, etc. Be sure you’ve researched what you’re allowed to take to the testing center.
- Go to bed early! Can’t emphasize this enough. When you are well-rested, you think more clearly and are much more resilient when it comes to stress. Like, I’m tempted to write this IN ALL CAPS. With about a thousand exclamation points. And stars. And unicorns and stuff.
As an added bonus, let's talk about the day of the test with some quick pointers:.
- Eat a good breakfast with some protein (but not TOO heavy so you feel sluggish).
- Go easy on the caffeine.
- Arrive early!
- Breeeathe. Sounds simple, but we naturally revert to shallow breathing when we’re stressed. Consciously focus on taking slow, deep breaths. This helps clear some of the stress hormones coursing through your veins.
In a long and challenging exam, there WILL be periods of time when you feel like you are not performing well. EVERYONE experiences this. Expect that feeling and do not allow frustration about the last question to impact your performance on the next question.
Remember, ~90% of students pass the NAVLE® on their first try!
YOU GOT THIS! Go forth and ROCK THAT NAVLE®!