You’ve been so busy with clinics all summer, and now with the NAVLE coming up quickly, you’ve made a study plan! Right??? If you have been busy preparing for the big test already, your classmates are likely envious.
While you may never actually feel like you are ready, you will feel better about the exam if you have at least done some basic review, especially on the topics that you aren’t regularly immersed in (swine medicine anyone?)
There are a few important things to think about and to help you prepare for the exam- not only the content but your mental preparation as well.
1) Schedule study time. Be honest about your schedule. Make a detailed life plan for the next 2-3 months (prior to your exam). Schedule your study time so that you are focusing on your more difficult topics when you are better rested (weekend mornings or lighter days) and your easier topics when you are more tired (after work, school, evenings). If your school offers review classes- make sure you attend!
2) Study in the way that helps you the most. Are you a visual learner? Study by making charts, graphs, lists, etc. Do you work better in a group? Schedule some study sessions with friends and make a plan for topics so you can stay focused.
3) Take a practice test (or several). You can make practice tests for your friends, and have them do the same, and swap. VetPrep has exam mode so you can set a given amount of questions for a practice test. The NAVLE will be on the computer, so you will want to make sure you take some timed practice exams like that to get comfortable with the format.
4) Learn about the Prometric Center where the test will be given. If you know what to expect when you walk in, this will reduce your stress. Know where it is located, when you should arrive, what will be allowed to bring in, what type of breaks can you take during the test, etc.
5) Make sure that you eat a good dinner the night before and a good breakfast the morning of the exam. Make sure you are not cramming or even studying much the night before. Your brain and body need to be at maximum functioning capacity during the exam. This requires preparation on your part.
VetPrep has several study plans that can help you to divide our material to fit the length of time you need to study. (It’s a little late for the 6 month plan now), but we have a 90 day special running ($20 off a regular 90 day and $30 off a premium subscription). Our study calendars tell you how many questions and what material you need to do each day to stay on track to finish the study program in time for the NAVLE. We also have a 45-day plan (which is not ideal, but for those waiting until the last minute can be very helpful)! We have practice questions and exams, condensed study notes on a variety of topics (PowerPages), and PowerLectures that you can listen to. It’s all right at your fingertips.
We wish you the best of luck on your NAVLE, and we know you will do great! If you have any questions about our subscriptions or what we have to offer, visit our website at VetPrep.com or contact us through support.